|“||I'm an inanimate object come to life, not human, ergo, I have no Humanity for you to appeal to.||”|
— Lorne talking to Elena
Lorne Gilbert is a protagonist, and one of the male leads of The Vampire Diaries. He has no family to speak of, as he was never truly human to begin with, he has no siblings and is known to either try and eat those closest to him, or to disregard them completely, making sure to make them feel completely unwelcome on a constant basis.
Lorne was given to Elena Gilbert by her mother on her thirteenth birthday, she is often seen writing on his crisp white pages after her parents' untimely death where she, oddly enough, was the sole survivor.
- "I was your companion when you needed me the most, you told me your innermost thoughts and desires, and what do I get in return? You kill me as you turn off your precious little Humanity switch, because of you I'm the way that I am! You did this to me!"
- —Lorne speaking to Elena with thinly veiled malice.
Lorne was not given his name, but simply goes by this as it was printed upon his binding in the warehouse that he was essentially created. His last name, Gilbert, is used as it is his owners last name and he seemed it befitting.
He is not related to Elena or Jeremy in any way, shape or form, he has no blood ties, however, if you were to ask him which bloodline he originated from, he will tell you that it is Elijah Mikaelson as he is the only Original with which he feels a connection to. This could be dated back to Elena, whom seems to share some sort of attachment to the moral Original Vampire.
Lorne awoke with arms legs and his own personal thoughts, needs, desires, shortly after the burning of the Gilbert Household. He is born anew stark naked and covered head to toe in thick, black soot, his stomach aching with a hunger he would forever remember. His search for Elena starts after he kills an unknowing passerby, stealing the poor man's clothing, his lifeblood dripping from the entire lower half of Lorne's face and onto the once prestine white shirt.
Lorne as a boy's name, is pronounced lorn. It is of Scottish origin. Also a variant of Lawrence (Latin) "from Laurentum".
People with the name Lorne tend to initiate events, to be leaders rather than followers, with powerful personalities. They tend to be focused on specific goals, experience a wealth of creative new ideas, and have the ability to implement these ideas with efficiency and determination. They tend to be courageous and sometimes aggressive. As unique, creative individuals, they tend to resent authority, and are sometimes stubborn, proud, and impatient.
- Bill Skarsgard, who portrays Lorne Gilbert, also portrays a vampire (Roman Godfrey) in the Hemlock Grove.
- He is the first character in the series to be created out of an inanimate object.
- Elena Gilbert burns him, as well as her brother Jeremy's body, to cinders along with her childhood home after Jeremy's death.
- He is the first character in the series to be turned into a vampire without the need for blood to complete his transformation.